The Manager, Engineering Design is responsible and accountable for supervision of staff and for the on-going operation and administration of Engineering Design. Engineering Design provides professional engineering design services for capital projects, and some technical expertise and support to Operations as requested. The incumbent will also manage engineering design process, procedures and quality assurance as required for compliance with NTPC’s Permit to Practice.
- Manages and directs subordinate staff and external engineering consultants involved in electrical, mechanical and civil design, construction and commissioning of capital projects up to $20 million in value.
- Manages and directs in-house engineering design resources, and electrical and mechanical disciplines, and manages and directs external engineering consultants for civil designs.
- Assigns design work to subordinate staff and consultants and monitors to ensure that high quality engineering work is performed at all times.
- Oversees engineering design processes, procedures and quality assurance as required for compliance with NTPC’s Permit to Practice. Manages quality and compliance with all applicable codes and standards, on all designs, reports, technical specifications, cost estimates, RFPs/tenders and other contract documents prepared by subordinate staff or external engineering consultants.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of hydro and thermal assets with respect to generating plant and equipment, engineering design practices, construction practices, materials, engineering and safety codes.
- Develops and maintains mechanical and electrical engineering standards for hydro, diesel and natural gas generating stations, renewable energy systems and residual heat systems.
- Supports Asset Management and Project Management with identification, definition, design and implementation of capital projects. Occasionally prepares project briefs.
- Responsible for the Corporation’s Engineering Permit Stamp on mechanical and electrical design drawings and related technical documents.
- Prepares and administers the annual operation budget for Engineering Design.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering and eligible for membership of NAPEG.
- Minimum 7 years electrical or mechanical design, project engineering/management, construction & commissioning experience, at a senior level, of which at least four years are directly related to hydro or thermal electric power generation with a regulated utility. This will include conventional design and also a level of problem solving ability beyond standard issues.
- Demonstrated skill in organizing, directing and overseeing the work of subordinate staff.
- Extensive knowledge and skill in electrical, control and instrumentation and mechanical activities for design, construction, commissioning and operation purposes.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, which includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Above average verbal and written communication and organizational skills.
- Proven administrative and budget skills.
- Proven ability to motivate and inspire direct reports and project staff.
- Above average interpersonal skills and ability to work and manage in a team environment.
- Predominantly works in a normal non-smoking office environment.
- Frequent travel to remote Arctic communities.
- Carry out inspections of engineering work in the field.
Salary pays up to $151,319 plus location, & accommodation allowances of approximately $7,773 per annum. We offer a comprehensive benefits package which includes Health and Dental benefits, Long Term Disability, Life Insurance, paid Sick Days and a Defined Benefits Pension Plan.
Please send resumes to:
Northwest Territories Power Corporation
Please quote competition #: 09-HR-17
Closing date: August 18, 2017 at 5:00pm (MT)
Affirmative Action Employer - Candidates must clearly identify eligibility status in order to receive priority consideration.
We thank all those who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.