Working in a team environment, the Mechanical Engineer is responsible for mechanical engineering design for diesel and hydro generating stations primarily and, increasingly, for solar, wind and other alternative energy generating facilities. The work includes economic evaluation of projects to determine amongst rehabilitation, upgrade or complete new construction of a facility.
Design and analyze mechanical systems associated with the operation of diesel and natural gas engines and their powerhouses.
Conduct research into alternative energy options such as wind, solar, residual heat and distributed generation (e.g., fuel cells, micro-turbines).
Conduct plant assessments and feasibility studies, using net present value and life cycle analysis, for the mechanical upgrade or rehabilitation of power plants or for the construction of new power plants.
Prepare project-specific, detailed mechanical commissioning procedures and perform the mechanical system portion of engine or plant commissioning.
Prepare technical specifications, drawings and engineering estimates for new power generating projects and for upgrading of existing power generating equipment.
Prepare Requests for Proposals (RFPs), including detailed scope of work, for mechanical engineering services.
Perform a quality assurance function by reviewing design calculations, technical specifications, drawings, economic evaluations, and feasibility studies.
Provide mechanical support to Operations personnel as requested.
- B.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering with 5 years’ experience in facilities design, operation, and/or maintenance.
- Experience with any generation system (e.g., hydro, thermal, wind, solar, etc.) would be beneficial.
- Knowledge of AutoCAD would be an advantage.
- Proficient with the Microsoft Office suite of programs, such as Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.
- Good oral and written communication skills to maintain effective communications with team members, and to prepare documentation and reports.
- Must undergo a successful criminal background check.
- Valid Class 5 driver’s license.
Salary range is $53.07 to $64.51 per hour, plus location, and accommodation allowances of approximately $7,773 per annum. We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes a defined benefits pension plan.
Please send resumes to:
Northwest Territories Power Corporation
#4 Capital Drive
Hay River NT X0E 1G2
Fax: (867) 874-5229
Please quote competition #: 29-HR-16
Closing Date: April 17, 2017 at 5:00pm
Affirmative Action Employer - Candidates must clearly identify eligibility status in order to receive priority consideration.
We thank all those who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.